A HISTORY of LEHIGH COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA Published by James J. Haurer 1902
Lowhill Township is bounded on the north by Heidelberg and Lynn townships, on the east by North Whitehall, on the south by Upper Macungie and South Whitehall townships, and on the west by Weisenberg. Population in 1900 was 715. It web organized in 1753. The principal streams flowing through the township are Jordan and Lyon creeks. They furnish water power for a number of mills. The soil is fertile, the principal grains are raised, and potatoes extensively cultivated. The surface is hilly and abounds in springs. The principal occupation of the people is farming.
The first land warrant was made in 1743 to John Conrad Redd. The other settlers were Henry Hauser, Michael Kimbald, Richard Vodgas, John Rifle and others. Some of the old land marks were Mosser’s mill (Hollenbach's) built in 1700. Balzer Fritz kept the first store in the township on the road leading from Fogelsville to Claussville. Lowhill church was built in 1769, in the northwestern part of the township. The third building was erected in 1858. Morganland church in the southeastern part was built in 1853. One of the first public roads was laid out in 1813, from Christian Hartman's house to the Great Philadelphia road. The schools are comparing well with the schools of the surrounding townships. The first schools were established in connection with the church. Among the earlier teachers were John David, Jr., Jacob Hart, John Benner and Israel Benner. The first public house was opened before the Revolutionary war at Leather Corner Post.
VILLAGES-Weidasville was founded in 1765. Population in 1900 was 100. It contains a store and post office. Lyon Valley, founded in 1845. Population in 1900 was 200. It contains a store, hotel and post office. Claussville, founded in 1801, contains a store, hotel and post office. Population in 1900 was 132. Leather Corner Post, the oldest village in the township, and contains a store and hotel.